Thursday, April 26, 2007

Overheard...

Our church is trying to raise some money to pay off some debt on the new building. We hired Injoy Stewardship Services to help us raise money. It's a John Maxwell thing, but that's another topic for another day.

The Injoy guys called a meeting with the staff, and they shared with us the vision of what we are trying to do with the campaign. It has some very good ideas in how to get a big majority of the church to get involved.

One of the guys said something that bugged me a little bit though... He said, "we had more fun (at a certain event) then you should have at church event."

That's the problem, isn't it? Too many people feel that church SHOULD be stuffy, lifeless, and achingly boring.

That is community? I know that when I experience community, I laugh hard enough to make my sides hurt, I cry with my friends that are hurting, I get my hands dirty with their dirt as we pray for each other. But mostly, I laugh. A lot.

To steal from Campolo and Yacconelli, the kingdom of God is a party.

1 comment:

SCOTT said...

quick story about injoy...the church we are currently attending hired injoy as well...when they asked what the financial goal was, Mark (minister) responded every member of church getting involved...(their mouths hung open because normally churches want a dollar figure, not absolute participation by the community of believers...) I laughed my butt off still thinking about that poor guy trying to recover